Lord Hanuman

5:05 PM


I love Lord Hanuman.

I have always been interested in Hindu lore. The Bhagavad-Gita is one of the greatest holy books I have read and the pantheon of Hindu deities inspires the imagination. Admittedly though, I had never heard of Hanuman until I heard a song by Krishna Das called "Baba Hanuman" in January while walking into a store. Flooded over with emotion, my heart fluttering, I immediately purchased the CD. Ever since, Hanuman has been a guiding principle in my life.

Hanuman is a formidable warrior, scholar and musician, and the ultimate embodiment of devotion. In fact, he is known as Bhakta Avatar, the personification of devotion. The tattoo of Rama and Sita on his chest is a symbol of that devotion. It is his complete love and faith in Rama that manifests his immense strength, impeccable speed, impossible flight, and other superhuman skills which allow him to fulfill his service to his beloved Master. His is the slayer of Ravanas, of demons. It is said that to this day Hanuman patiently stands outside his cave in the Himalayas, scanning the horizon for Lord Rama's return.

Meditating on Hanuman ever since has taught me much about being a servant to the cause of righteous action. I frequently meditate on the words provided by Krishna Das and would like to post them here:


Namo...Namo...Anjaninandanaaya

Jaya Seeya Raama, Jai Jai Hanuman

Jaya Bajrangbalee, Baba Hanuman

Sankata Mochan kripaa nidhann

Jai Jai Jai Hanuman Gosaaee

Kripaa karahu Gurudeva kee naaee

Sankata Mochan kripaa nidhaan,

Laala Langotta, Laala Nishaan

Hare Raama Raama Raamam Seetaa Raama Raama Ramma

You Might Also Like

3 comments